-Monroe Mann, Esq, MBA, ME
P.S. - google me. amazon me. youtube me. itunes me. imdb me. facebook me.
For all those interested in tracking the rise of the RoMann Empire... Check out my motivational coaching and consulting firm at www.EnoughExcusesAlready.com Visit www.RahRahk.com to sign up to my inspiring email list!
In 1913, Wyoming ratified the 16th Amendment, providing the three-quarter majority of states necessary to amend the Constitution. The 16th Amendment gave Congress the authority to enact an income tax. That same year, the first Form 1040 appeared after Congress levied a 1 percent tax on net personal incomes above $3,000 with a 6 percent surtax on incomes of more than $500,000.
In 1918, during World War I, the top rate of the income tax rose to 77 percent to help finance the war effort. It dropped sharply in the post-war years, down to 24 percent in 1929, and rose again during the Depression. During World War II, Congress introduced payroll withholding and quarterly tax payments.
A New Name
In the 50s, the agency was reorganized to replace a patronage system with career, professional employees. The Bureau of Internal Revenue name was changed to the Internal Revenue Service. Only the IRS commissioner and chief counsel are selected by the president and confirmed by the Senate.
Today's IRS Organization
The IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998 prompted the most comprehensive reorganization and modernization of IRS in nearly half a century. The IRS reorganized itself to closely resemble the private sector model of organizing around customers with similar needs.
Once again, I preface this email by letting you know that in no way am I bragging; I like to consider it just "sharing the vibe". Honestly, I hope something you read will inspire you to do even more great stuff with your life too!
Without further ado, this is what I've been up to lately:
1) SEMINAR TONIGHT AT AFTRA -- first off, I am teaching an inspiring seminar tonight at AFTRA in NYC entitled, "The Science of Stardom". Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you there. Doors open at 5:30pm
2) PhD IN PSYCHOLOGY. -- I just finished my LLM (Masters of Law) in commercial real estate transactions, and this past week, began my PhD in psychology at Capella University. Why psychology? Because it's time for me to figure out why our brains tick as they do. Why do men and women interact the way they do. Why do I do what I do? I'll keep you posted along the way. :)
3) NEW BOOKS! I have a new book coming out in a few months called, "Battle Cries for the Hollywood Underdog", co-written with online video expert Lou Bortone up in Boston. I also have another new book that is halfway done called, "Romantic Suicide - The 12 Unbreakable Rules of Dating--by a guy who unfortunately learned them all by breaking each one!" :) You're all gonna get a kick out of this second one. Both should be available by late summer/early fall on Amazon, BN.com, etc.
4) NEWS ARTICLE ABOUT ME: I was interviewed for the Rock Star section of Westchester's big Gannett paper, "The Journal News" a couple weeks ago. It's a great article subtitled, "Ten Things You Didn't Know About Monroe Mann". When you click the link, be sure to read the second page, which is the best part: http://www.lohud.com/article/20110501/LIFESTYLE01/105010318/No-excuses?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s
4) MUSIC VIDEO PASSED 4000 VIEWS! Have you seen my inspiring music video yet for my awesome song, "The Sun Is Always Shining Somewhere"? In just over a month, we've surpassed 4300 views and 100 comments. Help us get to 5000 views by the end of the month by reposting this link on your facebook and twitter walls, and forwarding this email to your friends!
And FYI, you can purchase the album/songs at iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon, etc. Search for "Get Off Your Ass"
5) CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM -- In about 7 days, I find out if I passed the California Bar Exam. If I did, I'll be sure to let you know! If I did, it means I will be a licensed attorney in NY, NJ, and also CA, which would be pretty snazzy. :) Keep your fingers crossed---I do NOT want to take that exam again.
6) ASK ME A QUESTION--ANY QUESTION YOU LIKE! -- Go ahead. Ask any question, and I will be happy to answer it. Or, just visit www.rahrahk.com
7) OUR HORROR MOVIE IS ALMOST FINISHED! -- As many of you know, Ronnie Khalil, Jorge Valdes-Iga, and myself co-directed a comedy-horror feature film last summer in Maine (that Ronnie & I wrote with Bob Madia) called, "You Can't Kill Stephen King". We're almost at picture lock, and are sending the locked cut to our audio guys in a couple weeks to put in the music and soundtrack and all that stuff. Really really excited, and we hope to have the entire film DONE by the end of September! I play a character named Monroe int he film, cause it's sorta based on a true story... sort of.
8) AND SOME ADDITIONAL RANDOM NEWS -- I gave up smoking today!--oh wait, no, I don't smoke. Never mind. In other news, I am being interviewed tomorrow on a radio show in Connecticut. Check my tour calendar link below for more details.
9) CAREER COACHING: I am still the best career coach you can find. Cocky? No. Confident. If you need a life coach, a career coach, a time management coach, a financial coach, whatever--I am eminently qualified to assist you. How so? Well, I've done a heck of a lot with my life for starters. Plus, I have an MBA in Finance, a Masters of Entrepreneurship, a law degree, a certificate in financial planning from BU, and I'm a certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach. And I have officially started my PhD in Psychology. Call me--I would love to give you some tough love and get you on the road to accomplishment.
10) THE FAME BLOG (& THE SCIENCE OF STARDOM) -- So, my law firm's new blog is live--called www.TheFAMEBlog.com, and it's got some great content so far. I posted "The Science of Stardom - Parts I & II" two weeks, and last week, I posted "The Science of Stardom - Part III". If you haven't read it yet... do so. It's really fascinating. This is also the topic I am going to be talking about at my AFTRA seminar tonight. Enjoy!! AND... if you want to get the blog updates as soon as I post them, FOLLOW MY BLOG!
11) GUESS WHAT: I AM AN ATTORNEY (and a damn good one?!) With all this promotion of my music video, perhaps you didn't know that 'by day', I am an attorney licensed in New York, New Jersey, and with the Federal Courts, and I will find out on May 16th if I passed the California bar exam too! Call me if you have any legal issues.
In still other news:
a) FREE MONROE MANN SONG! Congrats! Just click here and you get a FREE complimentary copy of my song, "The Sun Is Always Shining Somewhere" for you to download, put on your iPod/MP3 player, burn to CD, whatever:
13 The Sun is Always Shining Somewhe.mp3
b) NBC INTERVIEW WITH MONROE MANN: If you didn't see it in the last email, check out this interview with Monroe Mann about his feature film, "You Can't Kill Stephen King", an interview that aired on NBC in Maine this past summer: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=124564&catid=108 (You can also watch a larger version of the raw footage on my youtube channel.
c) REMEMBER, I AM A LAWYER AND OPEN FOR BUSINESS: If you have any legal issues, please bring them to me! I am a licensed attorney in NY and NJ, and have successfully handled entertainment matters, criminal defense, tort issues, immigration, contract negotiations, court appearances, traffic violations, copyright infringement, and the list goes on. If you have a legal problem, please let me know. I can probably help you.
Romp on! Scroll down and check out my tour calendar!
CLICK HERE RIGHT NOW TO START SMILING BY PLAYING THE VIDEO:
SO YEAH, IT IS FINALLY LIVE ON YOUTUBE! WATCH MY AWESOME AND UPLIFTING MUSIC VIDEO FOR MY SONG "THE SUN IS ALWAYS SHINING SOMEWHERE" THAT IS GUARANTEED TO MAKE YOU SMILE. We shot half of it in New York, and half of it in sunny Florida, and edited it via a unique three-split-screen format. You're gonna love it!
CLICK HERE RIGHT NOW TO START SMILING BY PLAYING THE VIDEO:
AND... IF YOU LIKE IT, PLEASE CLICK 'LIKE', PLEASE POST A COMMENT, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, COPY THE LINK AND POST IT ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, OR JUST FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO A FRIEND!
Did you GET OFF YOUR ASS today and do ten things towards the pursuit of your dream? Hmmm? Did you?
a) Monroe Mann Radio Station
b) Free Guerrilla Marketing Seminar Tomorrow
c) Jared Safier and the Grammys
d) NBC Interview with Monroe Mann
a) MONROE MANN RADIO STATION: Create your own "Monroe Mann radio station" at: www.jango.com/music/monroemann, and listen to Monroe Mann right alongside Dave Matthews, Michael Buble, and your other favorite artists. It's just like Pandora. Just type in my name, and you'll have a station that plays my music, FOR FREE, plus other awesome music like mine. Enjoy!
b) FREE SEMINAR TOMORROW: Quick reminder: I am giving a free Guerrilla Marketing seminar tomorrow, 1PM - 2:15PM in Manhattan at 36 Street Studio / Precision Photos (260 W. 36th Street in Manhattan).
If you are looking for low cost and highly effective ways to market your talent, your business, or yourself... come to this informative and motivational seminar where you will learn all about guerrilla publicity, marketing, and advertising from Guerrilla Marketing coach Monroe Mann (a guy who also wrote the book, "Guerrilla Networking" with Jay Levinson).
Please RSVP: reply to this email, or send an email to RSVP@36streetstudio.com or call 212-302-2724.
NOTE: I am also teaching a $29 seminar "The Top 5 Ways to Attract an Agent" from 3 - 5PM at the same place.
c) JARED SAFIER AND THE GRAMMIES: Oh, and some more great news: Music Manager Jared Safier (who sat next to The Roots at the Grammys) just asked me to send my press kit and CDs and all that jazz to him out in Los Angeles. Pretty exciting! Remember folks: don't try to meet people; become the type of person that other people want to meet!!
d) NBC INTERVIEW WITH MONROE MANN: Check out this interview with Monroe Mann about his feature film, "You Can't Kill Stephen King", an interview that aired on NBC in Maine this past summer: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=124564&catid=108 (You can also watch a larger version of the raw footage on my youtube channel.
Without further ado, thanks for your support, and here's what I'm up to lately:
A) MUSIC VIDEO SHOOT A SUCCESS! I am excited to report that the NY portions of my music video shoot are 90% done, and next week, actress/dancer superb Anatoli Grek and I are flying down to Florida to finish the shoot in sunny Naples, Florida! Anatoli Grek is the lovely, beautiful, and talented star of the video for my song, "The Sun is Always Shining Somewhere" (Click here to listen to the entire song for free). This video is the first for my new album, "Get Off Your Ass", which is a motivational rock extravaganza that combines 15 motivational speaking tracks with 15 original inspirational songs. It's a really unique video that I wrote and am directing that tells the story of two people (guess who?), and how their two stories intertwine. I am going to edit the video in a very unique split screen format that shows both stories happening simultaneously—Anatoli's character in New York City; and my character in Florida. If you're wondering why, then, we are BOTH going down to Florida—well, you'll just have to watch the video to see! I expect it will be completely edited and posted up on YouTube by the end of the month. Yee haw! Special thanks to crew members: Amanda Costopoulos, Nick Aeschilman, and Matt Defazio, and a shout out to my Florida coordinator, George Oberdoster, and my number one fan ever in the world, Debbie Bordelon who is working her ass off to get the song onto more radio stations.
B) PLEASE POST REVIEWS! For those who have already purchased my album and/or any of the songs, first: THANK YOU. Second, can you please post a review up on Amazon, iTunes, and CDBaby? It would really mean a great deal to me.
C) NEW ALBUM RELEASED – In case you didn't figure it out yet, I just released a new album, haha. Track 13 (The Sun Is Always Shining Somewhere) has the distinction of being the first of my songs to ever be put into REGULAR ROTATION on a radio station---> WVUR in Chicago. I am so excited. It plays every day, no matter who the DJ is, cause it is programmed to! How awesome is that! You can buy the song(s) and/or the whole album at CDBaby.com (physical CD); or digitally download it from Amazon, iTunes, DigStation, etc. Search for Monroe Mann Get Off Your Ass. If you want to get inspired, and if you like my books, then this is basically Monroe Mann in audio form. You will LOVE it.
D) FEATURE FILM GOING INTO SOUND POST PRODUCTION – As you may know, Ronnie Khalil and I finally got our asses into gear and shot our feature-length horror comedy last summer in Maine called, "You Can't Kill Stephen King". The 3rd rough cut was just delivered tonight, and I'm stoked to report that the next cut will be final cut (picture lock), and then all that will remain is sound editing, and some additional post production work. So, we're looking at a September/October completion date. Given that I co-wrote, co-directed, and co-starred in the film, I am pretty excited that it's actually almost done! Especially since the movie is mentioned on virtually every Stephen King fan site worldwide! Fingers crossed that the film does well!
E) GUESS WHAT? YOU NOW KNOW AN ENTERTAINMENT ATTORNEY – If you don't know an entertainment attorney… you do now. I'm amazed and honored at how many entertainment cases have come my way in the last couple of months to include copyright infringement; international stalker matters, YouTube and Blogger defamation; film option agreements; tv option agreements; film company partnership agreements; contract negotiation; representation agreements; as well as civil litigation matters for both copyright and conversion of film footage. It's pretty exciting, and I'm thrilled to be able to help all of my talented and awesome clients. My biggest case right now involves filing a lawsuit against one of the biggest corporations in the world, as well as its advertising agencies, and two other defendants for copyright infringement. If you have any legal issues (entertainment or otherwise), let me know. I am pleased to offer you my services at www.MonroeMannLaw.com (which is also www.UnstoppableArtists.com). <---I can't ignore my roots!
F) CALIFORNIA BAR EXAM – While we're on the legal train, I figure I should let you all know that I just took the California bar exam out in Ontario, CA (which is about 30 minutes from Pasadena and an hour from Santa Monica—where I had lunch on the pier as I reviewed my notes before the exam). It was a grueling 3-day exam (the same length of time it took me to do NY & NJ combined!) and honestly, it's a toss up whether I passed. It was indeed harder than the NY bar exam, but not by much--both were absolutely grueling. On the bright side, I have the same feeling I had last summer when I took NY & NJ—I really wasn't sure how I did. Why is that good? Well, in the end, I ended up passing both NY & NJ, so I'm hoping for a repeat performance given that I have the same queezy feeling in my stomach. Worst part? Won't find out if I passed until May 16th. Blech. Fortunately, I am staying busy in the meantime.
G) AMAZING REVIEW ABOUT "GUERRILLA NETWORKING" – I received the nicest email yesterday from one of my readers. I was so touched by what he wrote that I asked if I could copy his email and share it with you guys. He said yes. Here it is, redacted slightly for privacy:
This sensational book of yours that I just finished reading - "Guerilla Networking" - it is exactly what I bargained for, and so much more, when I excitedly snatched it off the bookshelf at the Georgetown Barnes & Noble, where from I now write you (actually, just down the street from there at one of Howard Schultz's favorite Starbucks stores in Washington, DC).
You and I are very much alike, although I am a guerrilla networker in training.
For starters, I am a Christian and attorney like yourself. Monroe, I'm wildly creative - on the inside - and just busting at the seams to finally pursue my passion professionally with unwaivering commitment to get there before I age another day. Whether it's by writing my first book finally, getting into the acting business as I have privately contemplated, or just doing something/anything crazy just so I can tell someone about it, I'm gonna do this thing.
To borrow a line from one of my favorite movies - I've gotta do more, be more!
Monroe - your book, your talent, and the passion you obviously pursue life with? They have combined to create the very infusion of inspiration I need at this exact point in my life to more purposefully pursue my passion and experience my own version of "the top!"
You have already helped me by writing this amazing book. A Christian, lawyer, and happily married father of four, I reside in Arlington, VA very near the scenic Potomac River. My wife and I love NYC like nobody's business, and may pass through enroute to Paris this April.
I admit, I would somehow love to find or make a way for the next leg of my professional journey to somehow overlap with yours.
JD, MPP, BSIE
P.S. Next step for me is to implement "The Strategy - Step by Step". Spent the last 24 hours, yesterday in beautiful Annapolis, writing out my list of all the people I would like to meet, work with, work for, or become friends with. And you - Monroe Mann - made the list! I know you said to begin with just 5-10 names, but realized that if I'm going to try to become the kind of person these people want to meet, I better make it good.
Thank you Paul for such nice warm and encouraging words! And yes, when you get to NY, I look forward to joining you and your wife for lunch. :)
H) BOOK UPDATE – Since we're talking about books, I'd just like to remind you that I have six currently available books on the market right now, all inspirational, and all designed to help you live your life to its fullest. They are: Guerrilla Networking (with Jay Conrad Levinson), Battle Cries for the Underdog, The Theatrical Juggernaut, To Benning and Back, Time Zen, and Start Your Own Coaching Business. I am pleased to report, finally, that my newest book Battle Cries for the Hollywood Underdog (with Lou Bortone) is just about done, and we expect it to be available by this summer!
I) NEW BLOG LAUNCHING SHORTLY – I have a new blog, called, The F.A.M.E. Blog (www.thefameblog.com). It's up, but no posts as of yet. F.A.M.E. stands for Financial Planner, Artist Career Coach, Marketing Advisor, and Entertainment Attorney. This blog is going to be chock full of useful information for anyone on their way to the top when it officially launches later this month! I will keep you posted, or, go ahead and sign up for the RSS updates now so you'll be notified whenever I post something new to the blog.
J) BRAND NEW SONG – Want to hear the newest song I have written? Based on a true story (sadly), it's a comedy song called "Crazy Girls" and you can find it on YouTube. It's a very roughly recorded version that I did in just a few hours, but those who have watched it (all the way to the end) have said it is very funny. If you think so (or don't think so), I'd love you to post a comment on YouTube about it—either way!
K) UPCOMING SPEAKING EVENTS – Want to see me speaking live?
a. 36 Street Studio: I have a bunch of speaking events this month at 36 Street Studio in Manhattan (www.36StreetStudio.com). This Thursday, 1 – 2:15PM, I am offering a free seminar entitled, "Top 5 Legal Lessons for Artists". The following Thursday, I will be offering another free seminar from 1 – 2:15PM entitled, "Understanding Agents' Mindset". That evening, from 3 – 5PM, we are offering a $35 seminar entitled, "Negotiating Your Own Contracts". I will be sending out more details in a follow-up email later this week. RSVP with an email to info at precisionphotos dot com.
b. AFTRA: I was invited again to speak at AFTRA (American Federation of TV and Radio Artists) headquarters in Manhattan this May. Super stoked!
c. NYSBA: I was invited to also submit two CLE (Continuing Legal Education) courses to the NY State Bar Association. This is a big honor, because it means I would be teaching other attorneys, which is very prestigious. Stoked about this too!
L) RANDOM OTHER THINGS – And in other news, I am pleased to report I went scuba diving in January down in Fort Lauderdale; pleased to report that over the summer, I put my 'rescue diver' and 'EMT' license to good use by rescuing a man who was drowning while swimming; pleased to report that I am just about done with my LLM (Master of Laws) in Commercial Real Estate Law; and am pleased to report that I am officially starting my PhD in Human Behavior/Psychology this May. Very excited about that last one.
In conclusion, THANKS FOR READING! It means a lot to me that you did so. I really appreciate your support. It means a great deal to me.
a) Forward this to as many people as you like!
b) If you want to receive this newsletter directly, visit www.MonroeMann.com or my law firm website at www.MonroeMannLaw.com
c) Go out there and make your dreams come true already!
Books by Monroe Mann
Time Zen - The Shortest and Most Effective Time Management & Success System Ever Created
The Theatrical Juggernaut - The Psyche of the Star
Guerrilla Networking (with Jay Conrad Levinson)
Start Your Own Coaching Business
Battle Cries for the Underdog - Fightin Words for an Extraordinary Life
To Benning & Back - The Making of a Citizen Soldier