Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Last night in Rio

Monday, December 12, 2016
12:47am
Last night in Rio.  Dave and Bobby and I took the bus from SP here.  Six hours, and SUPER comfortable.  I slept almost the whole way.  Quite surprising.  Glad I didn't book a flight—would have been a huge unnecessary expense. 
 
On the first day, Saturday, we went for a walk on the beach, and I even went for a swim.  The hostel (Case Del Mar) is just three blocks away from the seashore.  The undertow was so strong and the waves so huge that I actually got tumbled quite a bit… and decided it was a bit much so came out after just ten minutes.  But was worth it.  Really fun.  Then we sat at a beachside bungalow and had some $3 burgers.  So yummy.   And I've been drinking Guarana non-stop.  So delicious and refreshing.  That night, we went back to a beach bar.  I danced with some girls.  Quite fun.
 
On day two, Sunday (yesterday), we walked all along Copacabana beach to the fort and then all along Ipanema beach.  I found a statue of Jobim!  Then we went out to the beach again and sat at the bar for a bit in the evening.  Dinner was pasta we cooked at the horribly hot hostel.  They only turn on the AC from 10pm – 10am, and my gosh, no joke, it has been 94 degrees and 100% humidity every day.  Unbelievably hot. 
 
Today, we went on a bus tour that started at 8:30am and took us to Christ the Redeemer (so beautiful), the soccer stadium, the colorful steps, and then Sugarloaf mountain.  Met some cool people on that tour too.  Then back to the hostel at 5pm.
 
I was planning to head back to SP tonight on the bus, but… found the Full House reboot on Netflix, "Fuller House" and couldn't stop watching.  Watched 10 episodes.  It's so funny!  I love it so much.  And it's ten times better than the original.  It's like the original was meant to happen in order that THIS could happen.  Makes me reconsider a lot of the 'bad' things that have happened in my life over the years. 
 
In any case, I'm staying here one last night.  I did some coding just now, have already said goodnight (and goodbye) to the boys, and tomorrow morning, heading to the bus station to take the bus back to Sao Paolo.  And then one more night at Viva Hostel Design in SP, and then an early morning flight back to NY via Bogota. 
 
All in all, an amazing trip, and I am SO glad that I came.  And again I am reminded how much fun it is to stay at hostels.  Really fantastic.  Met so many fun and cool people, and… I really feel like I've been on a great adventure.  I don't even know if I want to be a cop anymore: this was adventure enough.  I really feel like I want to be a computer programmer.  I really enjoy it so much.  I am going to finish this law case; finish these coding training programs; and then yes, try to get a job as a programmer somewhere, and develop my own projects part-time.  Can't believe I just said that but I want to get a job as a programmer somewhere.  And everything I learn on the job I can use developing my own projects.  Could be a win-win.  
 
In any case, off to bed now.  Big long travel day tomorrow.  Gotta get to bed.  

No comments: